[jsr344-experts] PPS Discussion

From: Werner Punz <werner.punz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 09:05:38 +0200

Hello Everyone

Just a minor question because Primefaces added that feature and MyFaces
had it as a config option for ages.
But I personally think this is a feature which should be part of the
spec not part of implementation features or component
set features.

PPS Ajax submit

As for now we encode the entire form for the execute parts and send it down.
Wouldn´t just from a minor performance and traffic perspective it being
better just to send the components
which actually are executed.

aka

<h:form>
<h:inputText id="component1" .../>
<h:inputText id="component2" .../>
<h:inputText id="component3" .../>

<h:commandButton ...>
<f:ajax execute="component1" render="..."
</h:commandButton>

this currently encodes component1, component2 and component 3 + the
viewstate and whatever is in the form

While in the pps case we only would encode component1 and the viewstate

Now this should not be the default behavior because it would probably
break the backwards compatibility in some corner cases
but how about <f:ajax ... pps="true" /> which enables this.
I think if you have a bigger number of input components then this could
give some performance improvement.
The good side also is that most of the heavy lifting would be on the
Javascript side of things.

Werner