[jsr344-experts] [730-TaskFlows] NAMING

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 09:13:02 -0700

DS> The term "task flow" is currently used in ADF. When we first started
DS> out with ADF the concept was called a "process" but we needed to change
DS> it due to confusion with BPEL processes. We switched to the term "task
DS> flow" but I never thought that was all that great either, we just
DS> couldn't think of anything better :-) . The same is true of the term
DS> "activity".

I'm going to split this out to a separate thread. But personally I find
the names in the initial proposal quite good enough.

WK> So are suggestion welcome by the EG or has it become familiar at
WK> least with ADF users by now?

DS> I don't know about the other people in the EG but I'm open to new
DS> names. Existing ADF users are familiar with the term "task flow" but I
DS> don't think we (the EG) should feel bound to that name. My hope is
DS> whatever we standardize will be based on the best of all the existing
DS> flow concepts, not just ADF, plus anything useful we find we need to
DS> add. Having a new name is probably a good way to indicate to users that
DS> what ends up in JavaEE maybe similar to something they've seen before
DS> but not 100% identical. I suspect having the JavaEE flow concept called
DS> something other than a "task flow" will make my ADF life easier down the
DS> road :-) .

DS> Some random thoughts:

DS> - Faces Flow

FWIW, this is the name I used in the JSF 2.2 Early Draft Review, but I
changed it back to Task Flow because I think it makes more sense.

DS> - Enterprise Flow
DS> - Application Flow
DS> - Page Flow (although not all the nodes are pages)

WK> - Content Flow
WK> Just playing with word, or trying to find something more generic than
WK> "Page".

But we need to capture that flows are not just views, they are all the
sub-classes of Flow Node in this diagram.

http://javaserverfaces-spec-public.java.net/proposals/JAVASERVERFACES_SPEC_PUBLIC-730/flow-classes.gif

AS> At the moment, unless you are using a 3rd party/custom solution, all of
AS> your flows are crammed into single massive faces-config.xml with no
AS> reuse/modularilty. We want a name for a small/lighweight, reusable
AS> application fragment that contains bits of these navigation flows.

AS> How about: a "flowlet".

AS> I like the the parallel with "Facelets".

AS> 2.0 big spec feature: Facelets
AS> 2.2 big spec feature: Flowlets!

AS> I'll probably hate it by tomorrow, but figured it was worth a shot.

I don't like it today.

I still don't see a compelling reason to leave the names in the original
proposal. Can someone who hasn't commented already speak up?

Ed