[jsr344-experts] Re: [949-WindowId] Best place to specify creating the windowId?

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:42:42 -0800

LU> "url" mode works as described on:

LU> See: Embedding a window-id in the URL

Orchestra> Users must then be prevented from using "open in new window"
Orchestra> on links containing the id, as that would copy the magic
Orchestra> window-id parameter and both windows would appear to the
Orchestra> server to be the same window. This can be done by setting the
Orchestra> "href" parameter of these links to "javascript:0", and adding
Orchestra> an onclick attribute that actually does the navigation by
Orchestra> assigning the desired url to property "window.location". The
Orchestra> FireFox browser simply does not render the "open in new
Orchestra> window" option when the href is a javascript link; Internet
Orchestra> Explorer does render the menu option but the newly opened
Orchestra> window is always blank.

I'm not opposed to doing this, but this would seem to impact the
specification for the javax.faces.Commandjavax.faces.Link and
javax.faces.Outputjavax.faces.Link renderers right? And both of those
renderers would have to have some kind of ability to ask, "Is the
WindowIdMode url mode?" and if so, they'd have to take the specific
action you propose, right?

LU> "client" mode is the one derived from CODI, which also uses an url
LU> query param, but uses the script to generate the unique id from the
LU> client side. Maybe Mark Struberg or Gerhard knows better than me how
LU> this mode should work.

I hope they do, and until someone can post the specifics here, I'll
leave "client" mode out of the spec.

ACTION: Leonardo, please let me know what you think the best way to
specify the rendering of the magic window-id parameter.

Thanks,

Ed