[jsr344-experts] Re: [594-FacesComponentTagHandler] PROPOSAL PROVISIONALLY CLOSED

From: Kito Mann <kito.mann_at_virtua.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 09:13:16 -0500

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Martin Marinschek
<mmarinschek_at_apache.org>wrote:

> Hi Ed,
>
> Why would this make a difference? You could sell to me that you cannot
> use @Named due to technological restrictions - but you cannot sell to
> me that you cannot use it because UIComponents are not Pojos.
>
> I rather think that UIComponents should be much more like Pojos in the end
> ;)
>
> In any case, in a CDI container, every class is a bean, as long as
> there is a META-INF/beans.xml in the same "package" (e.g. jar file).
> So also UIComponents will end up being beans if this file is there.

I feel like @Named has a different purpose, though -- exposing the
component to CDI. Wouldn't using it here be a little confusing?

How about using a different annotation instead, like @FacesTag? This avoids
the need to always set an attribute to true for the @FacesComponent
annotation, and it would be easy to support an a default attribute that can
provide an alternate name.