[jsr344-experts] Re: [jsr-344-experts] should really a composite component requires NamingContainer interface?

From: Blake Sullivan <blake.sullivan_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 19:01:57 -0700

Leonardo,

I agree that you can get rid of the restriction in a very limited case,
but is it worthwhile to make such a change? The reason the composite
components are NamingContainers is to ensure isolation from the
consuming page. Your solution to avoiding id conflicts in this case was
to not set any ids in your composite component definition. This
precludes the definition from EVER using any id-based services, such as
<f:ajax> within its definition. In addition, your proposal does nothing
to address abstraction failure issues regarding whether a composite
component implementation happens to use NamingContainers as part of its
implementation.

I do not consider the initial findComponent() failure a bug. Page
authors using components need to know whether they are NamingContainers
or not. Good IDEs should be helping you out in this case. In many
ways, it is easier for page authors to remember whether a component is a
composite component or not if all of the composite components are
NamingContainers.

The abstraction failure is that findComponent() should always work in
terms of the document that the page author is working in. In the case
of composite components, this means that component references in the
page consuming the composite component should stay the same regardless
of whether a composite component uses NamingContainer in its
implementation or not.

Fixing findComponent() should not break invokeOnComponent() and
visitTree() as we are not talking about changing the structure of the
returned clientIds for the child components from the consuming page
after they have been relocated into the composite component.

-- Blake Sullivan