[jsr344-experts] Re: RenderKit concept and composite components

From: Ed Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:45:42 -0700

LU> Hi
LU> Thinking about JSF 2.2, I notice that composite components cannot be
LU> defined per renderkit, but normal component can have multiple
LU> renderkits. This in practice breaks renderkit initial concept, which
LU> is a nice abstraction.

I am against this proposal. Here's why.

* All composite components must be rendered using this renderer:

  component-family: javax.faces.NamingContainer
  renderer-type: javax.faces.Composite

  This is specified in the javadoc for
  Application.createComponent(FacesContext, Resource)

* The NamingContainerComposite Renderer is in the standard HTML_BASIC
  renderkit.

* The OutputCompositeFacet Renderer also is in the standard HTML_BASIC
  renderkit.

* It doesn't make sense to include composite components in a renderkit
  unless you are prepared to declare your own renderer that does
  something similar to the NamingContainerComposite and
  OutputCompositeFacet Renderers.

* I'll note that the smartfaces UI library had no need of doing this.

Ed