[jsr344-experts] [jsr344-experts mirror] Re: [758-ViewActions] Point of departure

From: Imre Oßwald <ioss_at_pmx.jevelopers.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 20:45:21 +0200

As <f:viewAction> is close to <h:commandButton/Link> (It's an ActionSource2 anyway), I think:
- We should use the 'rendered' and 'disabled' attributes instead of an 'if'. While I can see the beauty of the 'if', especially as nothing "gets rendered", I think most developers are used to use 'rendered' to "disable" a component.
- viewAction should have an 'actionListener'-attribute too. (And it should also allow for "child-listener-components" - I haven't checked the source-code so far, if these would work out of the box)

Ken,
while adding the missing events is probably something we should do too. A <f:event> will never be as easy to use as a <f:viewAction action="#{....}"/> which will add the benefit, that a templateauthor/developer will not have to work with the navigationhandling directly, (s)he will just need to return an outcome as usual to change the view.

Imre