users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: EJB-modules in EAR

From: <hnfn68_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 11:51:40 +0000 (UTC)

Reza,

You're probably right, in the future applications would be smaller WAR
based, but I think it's many EAR based applications still active, and
would be for a long time.
The server we are using right now is JBoss EAP 6.4.x.

We have a large old application with multiple WAR files with lots of
shared code, both ejb and "utility". Up to this point, EAR has served
us well with no serious problems at all. But as I said, splitting up
the big monolith in smaller pieces makes EAR handling a problem
regarding to EJB. We have not prioritized, or maybe more correctly not
seen the need for splitting up the application at EAR/WAR level...yet.

I guess it's two options here. Put everything needed into all WAR files
and then put it into the EAR. Or splitting up the EAR to several WARs
with everything needed. I don't know how the server would behave with
much larger memory footprint and several EJB deployments of same bean.
We will definitely test both options regarding to build and deployment
chain and performance of the server.
I probably doing things wrong but I still believe, with a simplified
EAR without the need for EJB-module, I could instead have focused on
refactoring the code base.

Best Regards, Hakan