users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: Digest for list users_at_javaee-spec.java.net

From: Adam Bien <abien_at_adam-bien.com>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 08:29:35 +0200

> On 05.05.2016, at 22:42, users-request_at_javaee-spec.java.net wrote:
>
> Table of contents:
>
> 1. [javaee-spec users] Re: Migration Java EE regarding java.net shutdown - Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>
> 2. [javaee-spec users] Re: Digest for list users_at_javaee-spec.java.net - Adam Bien <abien_at_adam-bien.com>
>

> From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>
> Subject: [javaee-spec users] Re: Migration Java EE regarding java.net shutdown
> Date: 5. Mai 2016 um 02:13:45 MESZ
> To: users_at_javaee-spec.java.net
>

> We've been through this issue several times internally. It comes down to three things:
> • Converting specs to a new format and ensuring no semantics are lost or changed in the process is a large amount of effort.
at this point the community could help. At the end we will have to compare two documents.
> • There's no agreement on which new format would be best, providing enough of the features of the current format.
adoc or markdown — these are the most popular and best integrated with modern tools
> • Spec leads like the tools they're currently using (mostly FrameMaker) and are reluctant to convert to a new tool.
FrameMaker was a great tool and there is no adequate, popular replacement. However we will have at some point to move on.
I would value speed and easier community contribution (pull requests) over perfect layout.
> Inertia is hard to overcome.

Bill: this is not true. Now I can use javaee 7 API for my unit tests without strange JVM errors :-)