users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: [jsr366-experts] Java EE 8 database requirements

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 10:48:40 +0200

Hi,

On Saturday, May 23, 2015, Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com> wrote:

> You're confusing roles.
>
> The default DataSource is available to the Developer.
>
> The Administrator may need to do extra work to properly configure the
> product to ensure that the default DataSource is available to the Developer.

What if there is no administrator and only a single developer?

We aren't setting ease-of-use requirements for administrators of products.

Of course.

However, if there's no separate administrator and only a single developer,
for instance a user who's new to Java EE and wants to try the platform,
then it would be great for ease of use for that developer if the (embedded)
DB was just there.

In this product specific issue Reza asks for seemingly the exact same
thing: https://java.net/jira/browse/GLASSFISH-20666 and says:

"I think it would significantly improve usability given the default
database feature to simply start Derby with start-domain."

And in the same issue Sahoo is quoted to say:

"I have always felt that GlassFish should either start Derby as part of
start-domain (just like WLS) or use embedded Derby to make life of
developers easier".

So it looks to me there might be some justification to at least investigate
whether this requirement is feasible.

Also note that the emphasis is 100% on developer ease of use. I fully
understand and agree it's a non-goal to have ease of use for administrators
(for those cases where there even is one).

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms