users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: Fwd: jsp, el source/target

From: Kin-man Chung <kinman.chung_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 09:02:39 -0700

Traditionally, the technologies in JavaEE allow/require JavaSE of the
same version, so using 1.7 target for the current releases of EL and JSP
is appropriate.

Although the current EL can be built with JDK 1.6, it may not be true in
the future releases. For instance, we may decide to use invokedynamics
for calling methods from EL expressions, to improve runtime performance.
We do not want to not have that option in the future. Be warned that the
next release of EL may require calling the collection methods for Lambda
expressions, and may requires JDK 8.

-Kin-man

PS. I just noticed that JIRA issues have been filed at the el and jsp
projects on java.net for this, but were retracted later. Ca I assume
that this is not an issue anymore?