users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: (Optional) external alt-dd

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:14:31 -0700

Kevin Sutter wrote on 09/30/13 13:07:
> Hi,
> Why was item #6 in section EE.8.4.1 marked (Optional)?
>
> 6.(Optional) Create an alternate deployment descriptor ("alt-dd") for the
> application, external to the packaged application.
>
> This was put in place before I came onboard to the Java EE expert group. I've
> been looking through the archives (user and expert) and there isn't much
> information that I can find on this topic. I can understand the usefulness of
> separating the deployment descriptor from the application, but why was the
> support for this external alt-dd documented as an optional feature? This
> almost sounds like a pre-cursor to the Config JSR that is in the works for
> post Java EE 7. Was this external alt-dd a step in that direction? But,
> since we don't have a complete solution across the technologies, this specific
> piece was marked optional? Just looking for some history and justification.
> Thanks!

> Kevin Sutter

It's not an optional feature. What's optional is *using* that feature when
assembling an application. Section EE.8.4 is written from the perspective of
what an application developer or assembler would do.

I'm sure you understand that the purpose of an alternate deployment descriptor
is to allow you to modify the configuration of a module or an application
without changing the module or application package.