users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Control over what is scanned, within a jar/module

From: Werner Keil <werner.keil_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:25:45 +0200

+1

That can solve a lot of clashes.

We're facing a problem I might have briefly mentioned earlier, where 2
different implementations of JSF by JBoss and Apache clash in a deployment.
Making a JSF based web application unusable. This is where this could
clearly help.

Similar if you e.g. want to shield different JPA versions (assuming,
package names are different[?]) use Hibernate instead of something that's
built-in or prefer JPA over a project or solution that uses an older
version of Hibernate.

Cheers,
--
Werner Keil | JCP Executive Committee Member | Eclipse UOMo Lead | Java
Godfather
Twitter @wernerkeil | #Java_Social | #EclipseUOMo | #OpenDDR
Skype werner.keil | Google+ gplus.to/wernerkeil
* Eclipse Day Delft: September 27 2012, Delft, Netherlands. Werner Keil,
Eclipse Committer, UOMo Lead, Mærsk Build Manager will present "Triple-E
class Continuous Delivery with Hudson, Maven and Mylyn"
* JavaOne: September 30-October 4 2012, San Francisco, USA. Werner Keil,  JCP
Executive Committee Member will present "Standards for the Future of Java
Embedded", "Eclipse UOMo, STEM, and JSRs e.g. 331 or JCP.next"
* JMaghreb: November 2-3 2012, Rabat, Morocco. Werner Keil, JCP EC Member
and Agorava Committer, will present "Java Social JSR, it's alive"
* DevoXX: November 13 2012, Antwerp, Belgium. Werner Keil, JCP EC Member
and Agorava Committer, will present "Java Social JSR, it's alive"
On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Antonio Goncalves <
antonio.goncalves_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Pete, is this proposal related with performance only or are there other
> use cases ? The only use case I can find is disabling scanning on 3rd party
> libraries that are embedded in the project.
>
> Antonio
>
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 12:15 AM, Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>wrote:
>
>> For those of you who want a feature such as this, what problem is it
>> solving for you?  Examples would be helpful.
>>

>> Pete Muir wrote on 09/12/12 09:32:
>> > All
>> >
>> > The CDI EG is considering standardizing fine-grained control over what
>> classes within a jar module.
>> >
>> > The proposal today is to take the xml we defined in Weld as a starting
>> point
>> http://docs.jboss.org/weld/reference/latest/en-US/html/configure.html#d0e5767and standardize it, making any improvements needed on the way.
>> >
>> > A number of CDI EG members have suggested that it would be useful to
>> standardize this not only for CDI, but for all Java EE specs, allowing a
>> user to control, from one deployment descriptor (e.g. scan.xml) what is /
>> isn't scanned for all technologies in Java EE.
>> >
>> >  I know David Blevins has a similar proposal, somewhere, but not sure
>> where.
>> >
>> > I wanted to raise this issue here, before the CDI EG goes off and does
>> this on it's own.
>> >
>> > WDYT?
>> >
>> > Pete
>>

> --