users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: new JSRs for inclusion in the Java EE Platform

From: Jim Knutson <knutson_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:43:36 -0500

Werner Keil <werner.keil_at_gmail.com> wrote on 09/11/2012 08:00:43 AM:
> +1
>
> Batch makes little sense for Web.
> While Web Socket may put license issues on certain vendors (at least
> smaller web server companies) the way it helps with async processes
> certainly makes it valuable for Web Profile, if you want to avoid
> fully fledged Enterprise alternatives like EJB or JMS for that.
>
> Werner

Note, there's a difference between being able to provide web sockets
and being required to provide web sockets. Is web sockets really
something that is required by most (80% case) app deployments?

There's nothing that prevents someone from adding it to a web
profile compliant server and yes that certainly helps avoid a
full EE server, but the web profile is not intended to be the new
lite EE platform. At least I didn't think so.

Thanks,
Jim Knutson
WebSphere Java EE Architect