users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Re: Re: Modularization Framework/SPI

From: Werner Keil <werner.keil_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 17:53:34 +0200

I'm sure, some of you may have picked that up, too:
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jigsaw-dev/2012-August/003094.html

Whether or not it means something useful before JDK 9, I don't know.
All these say .../8-ea, which indicates, it is part of the JDK 8 code base,
even if that might be done on some "nightly" or "jigsaw" branch, to keep it
away from "Mainstream Java 8"[?]

Beside the sizes of these folders, given some people in this thread and EG
flagged the idea of making Corba and/or RMI optional, it seems like a good
question, if the subsequent folders may be optional with all their content,
too..?

$ du -k `find . -name 'config'`
696 ./jdk.corba/8-ea/config
1304 ./jdk.classpath/8-ea/config
1232 ./jdk.tools/8-ea/config
604 ./jdk.rmi/8-ea/config
680 ./jdk.tools.base/8-ea/config
604 ./jdk.base/8-ea/config
1056 ./jdk.tools.jaxws/8-ea/config
676 ./jdk.devtools/8-ea/config
608 ./jdk.tools.jre/8-ea/config

$ du -k `find . -name 'config'`444 ./jdk.corba/8-ea/config
792 ./jdk.classpath/8-ea/config
748 ./jdk.tools/8-ea/config392 ./jdk.rmi/8-ea/config
436 ./jdk.tools.base/8-ea/config
392 ./jdk.base/8-ea/config
636 ./jdk.tools.jaxws/8-ea/config
436 ./jdk.devtools/8-ea/config
396 ./jdk.tools.jre/8-ea/config

Cheers,
--
Werner Keil | JCP Executive Committee Member | Eclipse UOMo Lead
Twitter @wernerkeil | #Java_Social | #EclipseUOMo | #OpenDDR
Skype werner.keil | Google+ gplus.to/wernerkeil
* Eclipse Day Poland: September 13 2012, Krakow, Poland. Werner Keil,
Eclipse Committer, UOMo Lead, Mærsk Build Manager will present "Eclipse
STEM, UOMo and Hudson"
* Chip-to-Cloud Security Forum: September 19 2012, Nice, French Riviera.
Werner Keil, JCP Executive Committee, JSR-321 EG Member will present
"Trusted Computing API for Java™"
* Eclipse Day Delft: September 27 2012, Delft, Netherlands. Werner Keil,
Eclipse Committer, UOMo Lead, Mærsk Build Manager will present "Triple-E
class Continuous Delivery with Hudson, Maven and Mylyn"
* JavaOne: September 30-October 4 2012, San Francisco, USA. Werner Keil,  JCP
Executive Committee will represent "Eclipse UOMo, STEM, and JSRs involved
in, e.g. 331 or JCP.next"
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Jim Knutson <knutson_at_us.ibm.com> wrote:
> "Jason T. Greene" <jason.greene_at_redhat.com> wrote on 07/26/2012 09:58:33
> AM:
>
> > IMO a better approach is defining something thinner that is purely
> > around classloading, and bridges well to the legacy EE approach. We
> > should make it easy as possible for users to transition to the modular
> > world.
>
> I'm not sure it can be a simple thin EE update on classloading.  There are
> number of specifications that make assumptions about classloading that
> may not apply or be valid any more if the classloading requirements are
> changed.  It's been particularly annoying trying to get them to pass
> TCKs in modular environments.  One example is JSTL JDBC DriverManager
> support.
>

> Thanks,
> Jim Knutson
> WebSphere Java EE Architect