users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: [jsr342-experts] Re: Minimal profile ?

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc_at_ringerc.id.au>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 10:00:17 +0800

On 07/31/2012 09:43 PM, Linda DeMichiel wrote:

> BTW, when you say "NoSQL", which of the NoSQL*s* do you mean, or how
> do you envision
> this standardization?
'
Personally, I don't. It'd make little sense to even attempt to
standardise something that fast moving, fragmented and chaotic in a
slow-moving stable standard like EE and JPA. There's no common query
language, result format, etc. In any case, personally I'm mostly a
PostgreSQL user and - other than some fetch control issues - I'm very
happy working with that through JPA.

It only came up because I mistakenly thought that EclipseLink had
managed to support some NoSQL querying within the JPA framework, so I
was wondering if JPA was really just bagggage for NoSQL based apps or if
it was useful. My error entirely.

I don't think Antonio was saying there should be NoSQL standardisation
either - only that some people want to remove JPA support because if
they're using some NoSQL flavour or another they aren't using it.

--
Craig Ringer