jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] Re: [javaee-spec users] Re: Wish-List for EE 8

From: Werner Keil <werner.keil_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 22:14:58 +0200

Kevin/all,

Thanks for the reply and seconding such worries. Markus among others just
pointed to this listing at Oracle:
https://wikis.oracle.com/display/GlassFish/Java+EE+7+Maven+Coordinates

Quite a striking evidence for a not very coordinated naming, especially the
groupIds. Especially "org.eclipse.persistence" seems extremely bad and out
of the ordinary. While the artifactId is "javax.persistence", a mix of 2
package namespaces. Most others are quite mixed up, only 2 have
"javax.enterprise" in the groupId, but not in a consistent way between the
two either.

Unfortunately even in case of a JSR lead by your own company this looks
confusing:
 <artifactId>javax.batch-*annotation*</artifactId>
This is a subset only meant for the annotations,

In fact, if you look at this query:
http://www.maven-repository.com/artifact/javax.batch it is simply *WRONG*[?]
javax.batch-annotation has not gone beyond 1.0-b17, the only artifacts in
version 1.0 final are javax.batch-api or jbatch.

Sad to see, JSR 252 once again is subject to issues or at least
misinformation, whether this was from the Spec Lead's side or authors of
the Wiki (Arun?![?]) I don't want to speculate, but hope, this gets fixed
ASAP?[?]

Given a few Spec Leads (also especially under the EE umbrella) expressed
the desire to relicense artifacts more or less based on where those are
located (even the actual Spec in some cases[?]) this further complicates
the question of using dependency mechanisms like Maven, Artifactory, etc.
If the worst comes to the worst, the repository you'll get something may
contain an artifact under a totally different license.

The JCP.next Working Groups aim to simplify that, but there is practically
nobody in that group or the entire EC even hoping to understand Maven or
similar systems, as mentioned. Interestingly Richard who is responsible for
Oracle's Open Source strategies did at least a while ago also touch code,
whether or not that may help with problems like these, I can't say, but at
least it can't hurt.

In the absense of the mentioned Architecture Council, the EE Umbrella
Spec Lead and EG (at least for 8) should probably try to look after those
things.

Werner

35F.gif
(image/gif attachment: 35F.gif)