jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] Re: Platform SPI for determining service availability

From: Jim Knutson <knutson_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:14:16 -0600

Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com> wrote on 12/12/2012 01:48:16 PM:
> Normally I would expect reflection to be used to access the class
> from the other spec that you would use, if it were there. Are there
> cases where that's not sufficient?

Reflection isn't reliable for indicating the configuration
of a service, just the presence of a class. To keep this
simple, there could be a case where EE full profile is
available on disk, but only the web profile or some other
subset is configured to run. Using reflection might load a
specific class, but it doesn't mean that the server runtime
has been appropriately configured to provide that service.

Thanks,
Jim Knutson
WebSphere Java EE Architect