jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] security permissions for libraries

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 16:18:12 -0800

As described in this document:
http://java.net/projects/javaee-spec/downloads/download/ee-sec-mgr-00-ljm.pdf
we plan to add the ability to include a permissions.xml file with an
application to control what security permissions the application gets.

Our intent was to support this only at the module level, e.g., only for a
war file, ejb-jar file, or app client jar file. This raises a question
I'd like your opinion on...

What permissions should apply to libraries in the "lib" directory of an
ear file?

Ultimately we'd like to allow each such library to include a permissions.xml
file of its own, but even then we need to decide what permissions should
apply if the library doesn't include a permissions.xml file.

Remember that libraries are available to all modules of the application.

There seem to be a few options:

1. The permissions for the library are the same as the permissions for
   the code that calls the library. If the library code is called from
   a war file, it gets the permissions of the war file. If the same
   library is called from an ejb-jar file, it gets the permissions of
   the ejb-jar file.

2. The permissions for the library are the default permissions for the
   container calling the library. As above, the permissions would vary
   based on what code calls the library, but would always be the default
   permissions for that container, even though the calling code might
   have more or fewer permissions than the default. (It's not clear to
   me that this is implementable.)

3. We allow a permissions.xml file to be included in the "lib" directory.
   All the libraries in the "lib" directory get these permissions, no
   matter which container is calling them.

Note that in addition to libraries in the "lib" directory of an ear file,
modules can use a Class-Path entry to reference other libraries anywhere
in the ear file. I think #1 above is the only viable choice for this
case.

Again, in a future release we hope to support a permissions.xml file in
the library jar file itself.

How do you think we should handle security permissions for libraries in
this release?