jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] Re: Minimal profile ?

From: Jim Knutson <knutson_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:34:42 -0500

Antonio Goncalves <antonio.goncalves_at_gmail.com> wrote on 06/29/2012
04:34:31 PM:
> I've spent the week migrating a JSF 1.2 application running on
> Tomcat to JBoss 6 EAP (which comes with JSF 2.0). Now I'm trying to
> run an application with JAX-RS 2.0 running on GlassFish 3.x (which
> comes with JAX-RS 1.1). On both cases, it's hell.

That's one of the reasons I didn't want JSF as part of the Web Profile,
but it's
too late now.

I still say that a minimal profile with just the servlet container is not
platform. There's no value in defining a platform that has next to
nothing
in it. You basically can't count on anything being there and you are
forced
into building your own server or bundling everything in the app.

The only reasonable chance we have to solve the integration problem has
been
to include modularity in the architecture. I've been saying this for
several
releases now and we are yet again putting it off.

I'm not interested in a minimal profile hack.

Thanks,
Jim Knutson
WebSphere Java EE Architect