jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] Re: Transactional interceptors and exceptions

From: Jeff Genender <jgenender_at_savoirtech.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 13:49:41 -0700

I'll clarify…

Especially in interceptors, the ability to be generic in flagging a rollback condition is important since the interceptor acts more as a plugin to the application, and may have little business logic understanding of the nature of Exception. Since it's an interceptor, it may need to make a decision at runtime (based on perhaps metadata associated with the exception) whether the exception is something that should have the transaction marked as a rollback condition or not.

The annotation is an all-or-nothing with respect to transaction marking and I think there should be an ability to do this at runtime via an API call or setting a property on the exception (or transaction).

I hope that help clarify what I mean a bit more?

Thanks,

Jeff