jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] Modularity in Java EE 7

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 12:56:22 -0700

As you know, the Java SE team originally planned to include the new Java
module system in Java SE 7, and we planned to build on it in Java EE 7.
When their plan was revised, the module system was deferred to Java SE
8. To bridge this gap, we were hoping the Java SE team would be able to
define a minimal spec, independent of Java SE 8, that would define a
module metadata format, which we would use in Java EE 7.

As the Java SE 8 planning progressed, it was conveyed to us that the
required module metadata spec would not be delivered ahead of the Java
SE 8 release. As a result, we have not been able to settle on a revised
plan to provide modularity support in Java EE 7, and so will have to
defer modularity support to Java EE 8. We have considered several
alternatives moving forward, including delivering Java EE 7 with the
remaining content as planned, or splitting the Java EE 7 release into
smaller Java EE 7 and Java EE 8 releases, with only a small time gap
between those two releases, and with Java EE 8 containing only
modularity support and any remaining original content from Java EE 7.

I know this will be a disappointment to all of us, but I'm sure you'll
understand the constraints and agree that alignment with the upcoming
Java SE module system is essential.