jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] Re: Configuration

From: Adam Bien <abien_at_adam-bien.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 17:55:43 +0200

On 08.09.2011, at 15:56, Werner Keil wrote:

> Jeff, that's a good point, one of the drawbacks of pure annotation-based approaches like JSR-330 and its likes.
>
> Although both were deployed in the same format (mostly XML and Properties) what was used in an earlier EE5 generation app I worked on in recent months, was pretty much having external resources override defaults from compile-time, which in our case could be annotation-based.

Usually you are going to deploy the application on every change anyway. At least if you have a working CI environment in place. In this case it really doesn't matter whether you are going to edit the XML (usually without proper tooling), or change configuration on annotations.

Further there should be a possibility to override the annotations by e.g. XML or Java config.

> [...]
>
> As for JSON, there is an internet draft for this (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zyp-json-schema-03). Examples are at http://json-schema.org/.
>
> Jeff
>

> On Sep 8, 2011, at 5:39 AM, Adam Bien wrote:
>
> > Hi Reza + *,
> >
> > I only read the configuration-conversation without commenting it, reason: I never configured any Java EE 5 / 6 application with XML. Sometimes we had to configure the applications, but then we usually relied on a DB via JDBC / JPA (usually the latter).
> >
> > In latest project I used the following approach to configure my Java EE 6 apps: http://www.adam-bien.com/roller/abien/entry/how_to_configure_java_ee The defaults were overridden with data from DB.
> >
> > But: it should be possible to configure application with XML out of the box. I would, hovewer, not use XML as "master", rather use Java object for this purpose. The Java objects could be instantiated from XML, JSON (with extended JAXB like it is the case in Jersey) and directly from DB (with or without SQL), or directly by the application.
> >
> > I would also like to use annotations as a configuration source. We could put the annotations on top of the java classes mentioned above.
> >
> > I like your XML-proposal but I do not like the fact that your are using XML as the canonical model. As you mentioned previously: I would use expressive Java classes as configuration source and XML / JSON / JPA as a persistence mechanism.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > thanks in advance!,
> >
> > adam
> >

> > On 23.07.2011, at 03:51, Reza Rahman wrote:
> >
> >> Bill,
> >>
> >> With all due respect, I think we are talking apples and oranges here.
> >>
> >> If you look at Spring for example, their newest and most popular configuration styles is Java Config: http://static.springsource.org/spring-javaconfig/docs/1.0.0.M4/reference/html/. Similarly, the application configuration for the popular Wicket web framework is also Java based and is one of the most well-liked features of the technology. Jetty also allows for programmatic web application configuration that is currently one of their unique features. None of theses examples suffer from the same problems that EJB 1.0 did.
> >>
> >> At any rate, I do think I've said enough at this point. I think it's time for others to voice their opinions if they believe this is something that is valuable to the platform.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Reza

> --
> Werner Keil | UOMo Lead | Eclipse.org
> Twitter @wernerkeil | Skype: werner.keil | www.eclipse.org/uomo | #EclipseUOMo
>
> * JavaOne: October 2-6 2011, San Francisco, USA. Werner Keil, Agile Coach, UOMo Lead will co-present "JSR 321: Trusted Java API"

Independent Consultant, Speaker, Java Champion

 Weblog: blog.adam-bien.com
 press: press.adam-bien.com
 eMail: abien_at_adam-bien.com
 twitter: twitter.com/AdamBien
 Mobile: 0049(0)170 280 3144

 Author of:
 "Real World Java EE Night Hacks", "Real World Java EE Patterns--Rethinking Best Practices"