jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] Re: [javaee-spec users] Re: Staging (was Re: Configuration)

From: Reza Rahman <reza_rahman_at_lycos.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 16:10:50 -0400

Adam/et al,

If all you are really looking for is a standardized JNDI name for an
enum-esque value, I think that's doable without much issues. I guess you
could set that value via a declarative (e.g. web, faces-config, beans,
ejb-jar, etc XML) or programmatic API. The part I still don't get is
the compelling problem that we are trying to solve that isn't
easily/better solvable otherwise? Here is the ones I can see:

1. Mock objects - use CDI @Alternative and deploy the correct beans.xml
via ANT, Maven, etc.
2. Resources - use build/deployment tools to solve it (in our case,
deploying the correct resin-beans.xml with data sources/JMS resources
via ANT/Maven).
3. Are there other common use cases?

Even if we did allow setting the project stage per application, that
would also likely need a specific deployment descriptor to be deployed
at run-time anyway. In addition, it really bloats up the deployment
descriptors that currently only have configurations for one "stage" to
declaring configuration for all the stages in one place. I guess I'm
really not understanding the benefit to be gained in the end?

Don't get me wrong. For the most part, I'm playing devil's advocate to
make sure we are not over-standardizing or prioritizing incorrectly. To
me, at best this is something we can look into if we have time remaining
after we solve the more serious issues that would help more, such as
better internal alignment of the existing Java EE APIs and removing some
of the existing warts that remain for developers to run into -
particularly arising from the late introduction of CDI into Java EE 6 (
and we all know the reasons for that delay -- it had to do more with
personalities, rivalries and politics rather than technology).

Cheers,
Reza