users@javaee-security-spec.java.net

[javaee-security-spec users] Re: [javaee-spec users] Re: [jsr375-experts] Re: Final Call for Comments for EDR

From: Will Hopkins <will.hopkins_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 11:45:59 -0500

All,

There are a number of concerns expressed in this thread, and in a
separate branch that went to experts instead of users. Let me try to
summarize my responses:

  * Yes, I believe this JSR can be completed consistent with the EE 8
    schedule, although it is ambitious.
  * I was asked if I thought the JSR would fit in the proposed schedule.
    My response was that I thought it would, with the assumption that
    scope was constrained to the pieces which were largely already in
    place; i.e., the pieces in the current draft document.
  * The plan would be to escalate resources if needed to meet the schedule.
  * I agree with Werner's view that it's best to keep security "close to
    the core".

On the question of scope, Arjan said the following in a different thread:

> The "ambitious" Java EE 8 release goal is indeed "ambitious", or
> perhaps "sudden" ;)
>
> Nevertheless, what we have now would still be very useful. We could do
> a couple of things from this point on:
>
> 1. Only streamline what we have, don't add much new functionality
> 2. Adding the missing features for the Security Context, then do 1.
> 3. Ambitiously integrate the authorization proposal and the multiple
> authentication mechanism proposal, both presented and essentially
> okay'ed by the EG earlier.

Given the schedule, I don't think we can consider adding *any* new
functionality. In fact, I'm wondering, based on the recent technical
discussion around SecurityContext, if it might be worth dropping
SecurityContext completely. As currently spec'd, it doesn't provide any
net-new functionality -- the behaviors it provides are already present,
albeit with slightly different syntaxes, in each of the relevant
containers -- and it presents some significant implementation
challenges. It might be better to defer SecurityContext until we can
more fully define it, to make sure it's providing real value over and
above what exists today. (I do agree that a standardized API has value
in and of itself, but I'm not sure that alone justifies the
implementation complexity.)

Dropping SecurityContext would also allow the JSR to focus very narrowly
on authentication and identity store, where the existing proposals do
add some real value.

It's certainly reasonable to discuss whether it's worth putting out a
JSR with very constrained scope. We could declare that JSR-375 won't
make EE 8, and open up the scope again. Or, we could petition Oracle
management to delay the schedule, to enable additional scope -- but the
chances of getting schedule movement are exceeding small (and the
likelihood of getting enough time to add features like OAuth/OIDC is
essentially zero).

On balance, my view is that it's best to proceed with what we have,
potentially dropping SecurityContext, and leave the rest for EE 9. I
think we will have achieved something useful even if all we do is
standardize HttpAuthenticationMechanism and IdentityStore.

Thoughts?

Will