users@javaee-security-spec.java.net

[javaee-security-spec users] [jsr375-experts] Poll: Name for the RI

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 16:30:17 +0100

Hi,

We still haven't got a name for the RI project, Werner pitched some terms
earlier. I'd like to propose a poll to come up with such name. So far we
have:

* "Securitas" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securitas, a Roman deity of
security and safety (though there are of course at least 2 companies by
that name, one in Sweden, the other here in Switzerland)

* "Soteria" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soteria_(mythology), Greek godess
of safety and preservation from harm.

* "Olin" https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hl%C3%ADn.

* "Placoderm" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placoderm

Some additional ideas:

* "Heimdall" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimdallr Norse mythology, also
known from comics and sci-fi, guardian of Asgard.

* "OmegaSupreme" Guardian from G1 transformers continuity, perhaps shorten
to "Omega-S", where the S could even be taken to mean "Security".

* "Skyfeather" http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Skyfeather_(G1) Another G1
transformer; one of the more unknown protectobots, the shield of God
Guardian.

* "JAAS-EE" Completely wrong, but too many people, even those who should be
in the know, think that "JAAS" is the universal security framework used by
Java EE. No matter how many times it's explained, people simply want it to
be this name. So in a way the community has already chosen. But to
distinguish with the "real" JAAS we could add the "EE" moniker.

* "Amsterdam" or "Copenhagen" Safest cities (to cycle). Safety has some
relation with security. See http://copenhagenize.eu/index/index.html Myself
being Amsterdam based my personal vote would be for Amsterdam, naturally ;)

* "A'dam" popular local abbreviation of Amsterdam.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%27dam ties in with "dam" a
barrier/protector against water. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dam

* "Jyväskylä" / "Jiangshan" two relatively large cities containing the
letters J, S, A from Java (EE) Security Api

* "Bennekom" small town in The Netherlands
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bennekom no particular connection with
security, but just like Ozark for the MVC RI has no particular connection
with the technology.

* "Blois" City in France https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blois also no
connection with security, but I like the sound of it.

Any other ideas?

The list of proposed names:

* Securitas
* Soteria