users@javaee-security-spec.java.net

[javaee-security-spec users] [jsr375-experts] Re: 2-TerminologyUserVsCaller *closed*

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 20:20:57 +0200

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 5:57 PM, Alex Kosowski <alex.kosowski_at_oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi Arjan,
>
> Please add my vote for "Caller".

Sure, together with Darran's vote we now have:

The list of terms:

1. user (principal)
2. caller (principal)
3. ???

7 out of 14 voted:

Pedro Igor: caller
Arjan Tijms: caller
Rudy De Busscher: caller
Ivar Grimstad: caller
Werner Keil: caller
Darran Lofthouse: caller
Alex Kosowski: caller

Since the initial time set has passed and no other term can possible
win anymore, and the fact that the pattern seems to be very clear,
let's close the vote and conclude that *caller* is the clear favourite
for our working term.

Thanks to all who have voted! :)

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

> Thanks,
> Alex
>

> On 7/10/15 7:02 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>>
>> Please add me as a vote for 'Caller' - generally my main priority would be
>> to avoid a word that leads to an assumption the remote 'thing' is human.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Darran Lofthouse.
>>

>> On 18/06/15 22:28, arjan tijms wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Another concept for which there are different terms in use is what we
>>> often call using simple language the "logged-in user", and with some
>>> more formal language sometimes the "authenticated/authentication
>>> identity".
>>>
>>> Next to the logged-in/authentication user/identity, there's another
>>> variant; the run-as user/identity.
>>>
>>> In Java EE there's one extra step even. Various API methods return a
>>> single principal from the user/identity called the "user principal" or
>>> the "caller principal".
>>>
>>> To put these terms somewhat in context, consider the following sentence
>>> from the JASPIC spec, B.1:
>>>
>>> "When the authentication identity is provided to the container as a bag
>>> of principals in a Subject, the container needs some way to recognize
>>> which of the principals in the subject should be returned as the caller
>>> or user Principal."
>>>
>>> Now it's this last term that's specifically problematic in Java EE
>>> "caller or user principal".
>>> https://java.net/jira/browse/JAVAEE_SECURITY_SPEC-2 shows that various
>>> APIs in Java EE use either "caller" or "principal" now.
>>>
>>> For this issue I'd like to ask you again to vote for a term, or propose
>>> a new term. Again, it's a non-binding vote of course and to establish a
>>> working term. As the previous vote ran for a long time, I'd like to set
>>> this vote to *2 weeks*.
>>>
>>> The list of terms is currently the following:
>>>
>>> 1. user (principal)
>>> 2. caller (principal)