users@javaee-security-spec.java.net

[javaee-security-spec users] [jsr375-experts] Re: JSR 351 Identity API Status?

From: Ron Monzillo <ron.monzillo_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 10:09:30 -0400

On 5/22/15 8:31 PM, Alex Kosowski wrote:
> Hi Experts,
>
> Ron Monzillo (spec lead for JASPIC and Identity API) and I met last
> week and discussed JSR 375, JASPIC, and Identity API.
>

> Regarding JASPIC JSR 196 [https://jaspic-spec.java.net/]:
>
> One of the goals of JSR 375 was to simplify application-defined
> authentication, and enable applications to use custom authentication
> mechanisms. JASPIC was identified by the JSR 375 EG as a currently
> available framework to achieve that goal, but JASPIC was considered a
> bit low-level and difficult for application developers to configure
> and extend. Ron was concerned that JSR 375 was going to change the
> behavior of JASPIC, but I mentioned we were considering changes like
> https://java.net/jira/browse/JASPIC_SPEC-24 which would just add
> helpers to make JASPIC easier for application developers to use.
>
> Ron agreed that changes like these made sense for JSR 375 to specify:
Hi Alex,

it was good to have a chance to talk with you last week, and thanks for
writing up a summary.
I should probably clarify, that I did not think that all of the
following should be done by JSR 375.
IMV jsr 375 should place a priority on standardizing a simple, portable
SAM configuration methodology
that is suitable for the Servlet profile.

> - Standardize a utility class to register and configure a SAM for a
> profile (e.g., servlet)
> - Define annotations and DD to configure a SAM for a profile (e.g.,
> servlet)
> - Define a SAM helper class (inherited or delegated) to simplify SAM
> implementation for specific profiles (e.g. servlet)
> - Define/standardize an interface to represent SAM initialization
> properties, to enable configuration
>

> Regarding Identity API JSR 351
> [https://java.net/projects/identity-api-spec]:
>
> Ron said we should not depend on JSR 351 being available in the EE 8
> timeframe.

Yes JSR 375 should not depend on JSR 351 being available for EE 8. That
is the main issue.

On the details, what I attempted to convey was that imv JSR 375 is
looking for a place for applications
to store, or package authentication information for "their users",
i.e., usernames, passwords, and
role memberships. It is also looking for interfaces that applications
can use to manage this info.

while JSR 351 has suitable lookup and update interfaces the mismatch is
more one of intended purpose.
JSR 351 is concerned with privacy, and would both discouraged the use of
identity repositories for storing
passwords, and would enforce an owner-centric access control model for
user attributes stored
in an identity repository. I suggested that what I saw being discussed
in JSR 375, seemed more like a
standardization of the concept of realm, as seen in the various forms in
the various EE containers,
and that could probably best be resolved by defining a common syntax or
schema for, i.e., something
akin to LDAP (and then building your interface on top of something like
JNDI or JDBC).

Ron