users@javaee-security-spec.java.net

[javaee-security-spec users] [jsr375-experts] Re: Fwd: Security.mup

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 15:44:40 +0100

Hi,

> Feel free to comment and change if I made a big mistake or something
> really important is missing.

I do have a few comments and questions indeed ;)

First of all, there is a distinction between a "method" and "auth-method"
in the map. Connected to "method" are all the things that are
"auth-methods" in the Servlet spec. What is the difference here?

Furthermore, connected to "auth-method" is "JASPIC" and "Plugeable". I
don't 100% understand this. JASPIC is not a concrete auth method itself,
but rather a set of rules (an SPI) that standardize how authentication
modules can be plugged in a Servlet container in a portable way. The
Servlet EG is considering to standardize on this plugeable interface for
the implementation of the standard Servlet auth methods (Form, Basic, ...).

So what would a separate "Plugeable" then mean in this context?

There are currently 2 ways to plug authentication modules in a Servlet
container; via a proprietary way (this is different for each Servlet
container) and via JASPIC. Are we going to define a third way and ask the
Servlet container vendors to implement that as well?

As for "remember me", this is certainly worth a separate discussion. I
found that it works rather well as a wrapper for an actual authentication
method. You grouped it with "method", which is good as a concept, but in
practice it is often explicitly called before the other methods.

Remember me is therefor in my opinion a kind of pseudo method. It also
needs its own store, where a token store seems to work best. (I did quite
an amount of thinking how to implement this in a universal way, and I'm
currently at this experimental implementation:
https://github.com/omnifaces/omnisecurity/blob/master/src/main/java/org/omnifaces/security/jaspic/wrappers/RememberMeWrapper.java
)

Finally, I don't see any mention of JACC below the "Authorization" node.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms