[jsr375-experts] Re: Updated Multi IdentityStore Proposal

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 17:18:02 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Rudy De Busscher <rdebusscher_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Arjan,
>
> Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you too ;)

> A quick reply to your comments.
>
> I wonder, would it be possible to omit the CallerPrincipal argument here?
>> There's already a caller in the Credential, and I'm afraid this would
>> confuse people who have to implement the interface.
>

> I don't like the caller in the Credential interface
> - Credentials are user supplied and should be separated from the "System
> determined values". The caller(Principal) is something which is determined
> based on the credentials and thus I should not mix these 2 sources.

Perhaps, but if the store is asked for authorization only no actual user
supplied credential is needed, just the caller name to get the groups by,
which can be put in a dedicated system credential.

> - The current implementation of UsernamePasswordCredential uses the
> user-supplied username as value.

If the UsernamePasswordCredential is used for authentication, then this can
be passed in as-is. If the caller is authenticated via an earlier call to
an earlier identity store, then the handler knows this. If a followup store
is configured for authorization only, the handler knows this, and can pass
in the right system credential. This system credential can only contain the
caller principal.

So in these two situations only ever 1 caller name/principal is needed. By
passing them in both at the same time, depending on the situation one or
the other is used.

The problem now is that a store that doesn't want to have anything to do
with multi stores, sees two incoming principals (names). The one in the
credential, and the one passed in as a separate argument. We have to tell
users that unless they want to support authorise only and be multi store
capable, they have to ignore the second parameter. IMHO this goes against
the simplest possible design.

> So there is no way to determine if the 'Caller' is already identified or
> not. And this is a key principal when the Authorization and Authentication
> is separated in different identityStores.

I think determining if the Caller is identified is a responsibility that
should lie solely with the handler. The store just does what it's asked to
do based on the incoming data and whether it's configured to do
authentication, authorization or both. The handler on its turn knows
everything, via the returned status in the CredentialValidationResult and
the returned Principal of each store.

> - The unique caller identification doesn't need to be the same as
> user-supplied username (you can decide to use the internal id/sequence,
> email address, LDAP node cn value, ...)

Indeed, and that's a key design element in the current store. The
credential may contain a caller name (like e.g. in
UsernamePasswordCredential), but the CredentialValidationResult contains
both CallerPrincipal and CallerGroups return values. That CallerPrincipal
is then taken as the one belonging to the authenticated identity.

As an example: suppose we have the LDAPIdentityStore set to authenticate
against and the DatabaseIdentityStore set to get the groups from. Now
suppose we couple that to a mechanism that uses the
UsernamePasswordCredential.

Now let the caller authenticate with caller name "pete" and password
"secret", then:

1. The handler constructs a UsernamePasswordCredential and passes that into
the LDAPIdentityStore.

2. The LDAPIdentityStore validates that and returns a VALID result with
CallerPrincipal(name="cn=pete, dn=peter parker") and no groups.

3. The handler then takes CallerPrincipal(name="cn=pete, dn=peter parker"),
puts that into a suitable system Credential and passes that into the
DatabaseIdentityStore.

4. The DatabaseIdentityStore then returns the groups associated with
CallerPrincipal(name="cn=pete, dn=peter parker") say {"foo", "bar", "kaz"}

5. The handler now combines CallerPrincipal(name="cn=pete, dn=peter
parker") and {"foo", "bar", "kaz"} puts that into the final
CredentialValidationResult and returns it.

Hope the above demonstrates that it should not be needed to have 2 caller
principals passed in, and that the stores can do their work without having
knowledge of what happened before.

> callerPrincipal.getName() would be null here
>
> This should never return null. callerPrincipal being not null means a
> successful Authorization is carried out and thus the user should be
> identifiable (and null is thus not an option)

Indeed, that's what I thought, so therefor if it can never be null perhaps
the store implementations don't have to check against null?

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms