[jsr375-experts] Re: Sec Spec Spike

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 15:30:58 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Darran Lofthouse
<darran.lofthouse_at_redhat.com> wrote:
> On 15/04/15 08:31, Adam Bien wrote:
> #2 There is a lot of demand for multiple authentication mechanisms to be
> supported concurrently, a common combination being SPNEGO, some form of
> username / password (Form, Basic, Digest etc...), Client Cert and then maybe
> even combine this some form of SSO.

Do you refer here mostly to different mechanisms being tried in turn
(module stacking) or to having multiple mechanisms being configured
for different paths within the same application?

Standardizing module stacking has an existing JIRA issue:
https://java.net/jira/browse/JASPIC_SPEC-15

I may be mistaken, but I vaguely remember that Anil Saldhana had some
opinions about this before JASPIC 1.0 went final.

I did find SSO and/or "remember me" to be a little bit difficult to
implement using module stacking (especially when following the
PAM/JAAS conventions). A pipeline based on wrapping (like Servlet
Filters) felt a bit more natural vs a strict pipeline where each
module runs one before the next module runs. Maybe it's my lack of
experience there.

> When using a native protocol with something like SASL a lot of this can be
> achieved by listing all the supported authentication mechanisms to the
> client and allowing the client to use the one it wants to use.

While not exactly the same, this does seem to have some similarities
with letting a user in a web application choose the preferred
authentication method (e.g. a native form, OAuth via Facebook, etc).
There's an existing issue for this too, see
https://java.net/jira/browse/JASPIC_SPEC-16

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

Within HTTP