[jsr375-experts] Re: JAVAEE_SECURITY_SPEC-12

From: Pedro Igor Silva <psilva_at_redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 09:40:07 -0400 (EDT)

Indeed. I can also see usage of SecurityContext in JSF if this bean is exposed as a named bean. The key point here is that it doesn't only provide methods for retrieving information about an user, but also perform security operations such as login, logout and runAs. And most important, everything integrated with the underlying container. So you don't need to deal with JAAS or container-specific configuration in order to authenticate users and have them propagated to the container.

From an user perspective, the SecurityContext would be the entry point for any security related operation. However, still should be possible to use the "Identity Store" directly for more specific use cases.

Also, I've noticed that in the scope document [1] the "SecurityContext" doesn't have a relation with "Authentication Mechanism". I was wondering if the latter can not benefit from it in order to perform authentication and obtain the authenticated principal and any other information associate with it. Instead of necessarily being forced to deal with the "Identity Store" directly.

Regards.
Pedro Igor

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/12j4-L94crAlHHePaO97HE6VaLp4TtiblU6JxAYhEbbU/edit