users@jaspic-spec.java.net

Re: [servlet-spec users] RequestListeners invoked before or after authentication modules?

From: Ron Monzillo <ron.monzillo_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 17:04:19 -0400

Hi Arjan,

The request needs to be initialized before the SAM is invoked; otherwise
the SAM will not be able to do its job.

The Servlet Spec doesn't get specific about when SAM's must be invoked.
IOW, the request must have been initialized,
but perhaps the initialized event could be delayed until after the SAM
is called. If this needs to be specified, I would
expect it would belong in the Servlet Profile of JSR 196.

It may be worth noting that a RequestListener that is invoked before the
configured authentication mechanism (in this case
a SAM), could be invoking application code before the request has been
authorized by the container.
Moreover such a listener would not be able to do things like log the
authentication identity established for the request...
but that is something that could be done within the authentication
mechanism.

Is it sufficient to establish that the servlet request must have been
initialized before the SAM is invoked?

I suggest we move this discussion off the Servlet list.
Ron