users@grizzly.java.net

Re: Upload a large file without oom with Grizzly

From: Bongjae Chang <bongjae.chang_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 17:50:40 +0900

Hi Ryan and Sébastien,

I'm sorry for late.

When I applied the source(https://gist.github.com/slorber/7199403), it
worked well(Thanks to Sébastien!).

But I think that we can devise a better logic(I think that we can reuse
MultipartBody class which has multipart protocol, so we don't need to
consider the content type and boundary for multipart and can reduce buffer
copies in FeedBodyGeneratorOutputStream).

I think current multipart's logic of AHC with grizzly provider has two
problems.

1. Before writing, it allocates all source's buffers unfortunately.( I
already met OOM before actual writing when I tested).

In GrizzlyAsyncHttpProvider's PartsBodyHandler.
---
mre.writeRequest(o); // OOM before actual writing!
…
ctx.write(content, …);
---
It can be improved with using MultipartBody(not using
MultipartRequestEntiry#writeRequest()).
Here is a simple idea.
In GrizzlyAsyncHttpProvider's PartsBodyHandler.
---
final Body bodyLocal = new MultipartBody(request.getParts(), contentType,
String.valueOf(contentLength));
…
while(!last) {
Buffer buffer = mm.allocate(MAX_CHUNK_SIZE);
buffer.allowBufferDispose(true);
final long readBytes = bodyLocal.read(buffer.toByteBuffer());
if (readBytes > 0) {
} else {
buffer.dispose();
if (readBytes < 0) {
last = true;
buffer = Buffers.EMPTY_BUFFER;
}  else {
}
}
…
ctx.write(content, …);
}
return true;
---
2. When I modified above 1 with MultipartBody like netty provider, I also
met OOM in writing because the write buffer queue will be able to be full.
I think this case is reasonable. For this problem, write-flow-control is
needed like BaseFeeder, SimpleFeeder and MultipartBodyGeneratorFeeder.
I think that it is better that the user can use the AHC without considering
grizzly provider specific setting for multipart.
ex) Maybe PartsBodyHandler can be improved with MultipartBody and BaseFeeder
logic.
In addition, multipart can have the large file so it will be better if
grizzly provider can also support the FileTransfer in PartsBodyHandler like
FileBodyHandler of GrizzlyAsyncHttpProvider.java.
What do you think? :-)
Regards,
Bongjae Chang