users@grizzly.java.net

Re: Comet - growing CPU usage

From: FredrikJ <fredrik_at_robotsociety.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 09:22:28 -0700 (PDT)

Jeanfrancois Arcand-2 wrote:

> Can you elaborate why the CPU is an issue for you? Comet use more
> threads when executing a normal request. You don't need more thread but
> of course there will be more activity, hence CPU.
>

> This issue has been fixed in 1.9.x but nobody ever reported it using
> 1.0.x. I suspect using GF v3 is no op for you, right?
>
> Thanks
>
> -- Jeanfrancois

Hello,
Thank you for your quick replies! =)

Higher CPU overall when using Comet is fine, I even expect that =). However,
the issue is that the CPU usage goes up over time. The first minutes its 30%
usage and then after maybe one hour (depending on load) we are seeing 100%.
Since this does not happen with synchronous/no comet, I am inclined to
believe that it is at least related to Comet/ARP in some way.

However, the ever-increasing CPU usage could be due to API misuse and I
cannot conclusively say that the problem lies within or without the Comet
implementation without further testing.

I don't think GF v3 is an option right now. Do you think that the deadlock
is coupled to have Comet enabled or that it is completely unrelated and
might happen when running with Comet disabled as well?