dev@grizzly.java.net

[DISCUSSION] Removing support of ExecutorServices

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:05:41 -0400

Salut,

yesterday I've created a new branch that build using the
Pipeline(ThreadPool) API we used until 1.8.6. Starting with 1.9.0, we
started using ExecutorService and so far we have suffered many issues,
mostly configuration wise. Internally, we have done a lot of benchmarks
and we don't see any improvement with ExecutorServices...but we do see
many regressions, mostly related to the number of threads created by
default. So far the workaround is to set the core == maxThreads to have
the same behavior/good performance like we had with 1.8.6.

Take a look at the branch:

   * branches/pipeline

I would like to start a discussion on the possible removal. Personally I
don't like the current configuration issues, and also the fact that we
don't get any performance improvement using ExecutorServices. But I'm
open to discuss and see what peoples thinks.

Thanks!

-- Jeanfrancois