dev@grizzly.java.net

Meeting Minutes (Sept 5)

From: charlie hunt <charlie.hunt_at_sun.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:26:00 -0500

> 1.) Any outstanding issues with Grizzly integration with GlassFish ORB

Currently encountering some issues around the differences in a client
(ConnectorHandler) versus server (SelectorHandler) writing data. After
a lengthy discussion we decided to take a closer look at Project
Sailfin's implementation since they have a similar requirement in that a
given connection can act as a client and as a server.

Jeanfrancois took an action item to forward to the mailing appropriate
links in Project Sailfin where clients write and servers write.

> 2.) Supporting multiple SelectorHandlers discussion

It was discovered that when the Controller added support for multiple
SelectorHandlers, (i.e. TCPSelectorHandler, UDPSelectorHandler and
SSLSelectorHandler), Grizzly took a 20x performance regression.

The root cause was discovered which happened to be the result of a
Controller sequentially executing each SelectorHandler.

Hence, the resolution was to introduce a Thread per SelectorHandler.
This allows each SelectorHandler to operate in parallel. This fix
improved performance of the multiple SelectorHandler configuration by 20x.

Everyone on the call agreed this was the correct resolution.

> 3.) Other project updates or issues
There is a forth coming tutorial contribution including source code that
shows how to utilize Grizzly connection caching.

charlie ...
--
Charlie Hunt
Java Performance Engineer