dev@grizzly.java.net

Re: Tutorial Contribution

From: charlie hunt <charlie.hunt_at_sun.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:15:07 -0500

Ken Cavanaugh wrote:
> Torben Tretau wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> attached you find an updated version of the
>> NetBeans/FindBugs-Tutorial. I have integrated the ideas from charlie..
>>

> Thanks, the tutorial looks great.
>
> I just tried the steps in the tutorial on the CORBA ORB code (a
> version of which
> lives at glassfish-corba.dev.java.net). Unfortunately it did not
> work: FindBugs
> reported 0 bugs (the ORB code is pretty good, but not THAT good :-)).
> The ORB is a fairly large (>6000 class files) free-form ant project.
> I can't figure out where the FindBugs plugin looks for .class files.
> I did a fresh build on my project before running FindBugs.
> I'm using NB 5.5.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken.

It's likely a side-effect of what I've often referred to as "NetBeans
free form projects being second class citizens".

If Torben doesn't know the answer, we might be able to get in contact
with the author (Sven, cc'd here) of the NetBeans / FindBugs Plug-in.
Perhaps (Sven) can shed give us some hints on what needs to be done to
be able to have FindBugs work with free form projects.

IIRC, Jackpot had a similar problem when it was first introduced. But,
I think that was fixed. So, perhaps if one knows how Jackpot makes it
work with free form projects, we'd know how to make it work with the
FindBugs plug-in.

charlie ...

Charlie Hunt
Java Performance Engineer