webtier@glassfish.java.net

Re: [webtier] Re: JSF 2.0 utf-8

From: Jim Driscoll <Jim.Driscoll_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:31:01 -0700

So, as tzwoenn, pointed out, the problem was that you were using
properties files, which are Latin 1 only, and this is enforced by the
JDK. The workaround would be to use an XML formatted properties file,
apparently (though I haven't tested this).

Not sure what the appropriate Mojarra fix is for this - is it
appropriate for JSF to allow UTF-8, despite the Latin 1 requirement?
As far as I can tell, the spec doesn't specify this behavior, though you
could argue it's implicit in the reliance on the properties file.

Please update the 1206 bug you filed with the new info - we may have to
punt this over to the JSF expert group for a mod to the standardization
as well.

Jim