webtier@glassfish.java.net

Re: [webtier] naming conventions for LogStrings

From: Jan Luehe <Jan.Luehe_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:59:27 -0800

Hi Wolfram,

I agree the PWC error numbers are kind of useless. They had been
introduced by the webserver team, at the time when the web container
codebase was shared by both webserver and appserver products.

I didn't think the concept was well thought out, though, because it was
hard to maintain the numbering in a consistent way, there was no provision
against range overflow, and no protection against duplicate error number
assignments (as you found out yourself).

I think we should retire the PWC error numbers over time, and
definitely not add any new ones.

I'm glad to see that you are making progress!

Thanks,

Jan