webtier@glassfish.java.net

Problems with working with database in JavaEE application

From: <webtier_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 04:58:32 PST

Hi! My name is Elena Veretilo. I am so newbie in JavaEE. So I really need you help and advice!

I started to learn JavaEE with "The JavaEE5 tutorial for Sun Java Application Server 9.1" (http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/tutorial/doc/) and this tutorial recommended the next examples: http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/tutorial/information/download.html. I try to work in NetBeans 6.0 and NetBeans 6.5.

The problem is - I couldn't run Duke's Bookstore example (from tutorial examples) - something wrong with working (maybe creating or accsessing) database. The Database Server started, GlassFish Server also started, so I don't know where the problem could be.

There is exception:
Exception [TOPLINK-4002] (Oracle TopLink Essentials - 2006.8 (Build 060830)): oracle.toplink.essentials.exceptions.DatabaseException
Internal Exception: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: Table/View 'WEB_BOOKSTORE_BOOKS' does not exist.Error Code: -1
Call:SELECT BOOKID, FIRSTNAME, SURNAME, ONSALE, INVENTORY, CALENDAR_YEAR, TITLE, PRICE, DESCRIPTION FROM WEB_BOOKSTORE_BOOKS WHERE (BOOKID = ?)
bind => [203]
Query:ReadObjectQuery(com.sun.bookstore.database.Book)

If anybody had learned this tutorial and examples or just know what I need to do, please help me! If it's possible, tell me step by step, what I need to do!

And one more question - do I really need install Sun Java Application Server 9.1, or GlassFish includes Sun Java Application Server 9.1 and I need only GlassFish, installed with NetBeans?
[Message sent by forum member 'len4a' (len4a)]