webtier@glassfish.java.net

Re: [webtier] Custom validator, empty inputTextarea

From: Uwe Seimet <Uwe.Seimet_at_seimet.de>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 08:48:56 +0200

> What you are describing seems very similar to multiple field validation.
> As you know, validators are typically tied to components. However,
> you could have a validator method in a backing bean, that references
> multiple components.

Are you thinking of validating within an action method? That's too late
because validating (and rendering the error message) in the action
means that the validation error is not rendered together with the error
messages of other (standard) validators. There are several fields to be
validated and for consistency I want all validation errors to be rendered
before the action method is called, just like this is the case with
custom validators.

  Dr. Uwe Seimet                                http://www.seimet.de/