users@glassfish.java.net

[gf-users] Re: migration from V2 to V3

From: Will Hartung <willh_at_mirthcorp.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 10:08:53 -0700

On Aug 16, 2015, at 10:04 PM, <markn0053_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I have a question about GlassFish V3 deployment.
> Now I have been proceeding migration project.
> I would like to migrate an application to GlassFish V3.
>
> I confirmed I can deploy the application to GlassFish V2 without any
> problems.
> However, I can not deploy it to GlassFish V3.
>
> I saw a document from GlassFish site.
> GlassFish V3 has a compatibility with GlassFish V2.
> http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26576_01/doc.312/e24938/deploy.htm#GSRFM0011
> 4
>
> I put command line as below.
> deploy --properties compatibility=V2 "Application Path"
>
> Does GlassFish V3 have compatibility with GlassFish V2?

Oh, there's a big "it depends" on all of this. They're different enough that it may well not be drag and drop, but you can't really summarize the points that raise issues porting. Many things Just Work, but there's always details and can mess things up. It's been so long since we ported off of v2, I can't even recall what we encountered.

On another point, if you are on GF v2, and are looking to move forward, you should skip 3.1.2 completely, and work on porting to 4.1. 3.1.2 is quite good, we use it ourselves, but with the progression of Glassfish, JEE, and Java, you should really migrate to 4.1.

You'll simply have to address the individual issues as they crop up. Feel free to bring them up here.

Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh_at_mirthcorp.com)

--
This message, and any documents attached hereto, may contain confidential
or proprietary information intended only for the use of the addressee(s)