users@glassfish.java.net

[gf-users] Re: Java EE 7 Hands-on-Lab Updated (for You to Use)

From: Reza Rahman <Reza.Rahman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 12:35:38 -0400

On 3/15/2015 12:06 AM, Pollock, Wayne wrote:
> On 3/14/2015 9:02 PM, Reza Rahman wrote:
>
> I did, years ago. It remains one of my more popular web pages:
>
> <http://wpollock.com/AJava/WAR/myServletWAR.htm>

Great - I'll reach out off alias on this. I do think with the addition
of a bit more material this could be an excellent resource.

> I agree. However, without any mention of that in the basic tutorials,
> how would a beginner know what they see is not a best practice? Even
> basic tutorials can state something to the effect of "Note, secure
> coding practices have been omitted, to clarify the example of Java EE.
> See some-URL for more information." I don't believe adding such a
> statement would confuse the target audience.

I am afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. As additional
perspective I'd like to point out that there are actually quite a few
important development concerns understandably left out of very basic
tutorials (including perhaps your own that you referenced?) -
testability, security, performance, administration, maintainability,
etc. Again these are perfect concerns to tackle in the scope of a
project like Cargo Tracker instead.

> However, the moderator has deleted my bug report.

This seems a bit incredulous but not impossible. I think most of our
team members are very conscientious about legitimate bug reports!
Nonetheless if what you suggest really did happen we need to know about
and remediate it. Please do feel free to email me if this occurs in the
future.

> I will email you directly (off-list) a copy of the report. (I have
> posted on this forum previously, 10/26/2014, but again did not receive
> any feedback; perhaps a moderator deleted that report, as well as a
> few follow up posts I made.)

OK, I'll keep an eye out for it.