users@glassfish.java.net

[gf-users] Re: Cannot connect multiple GF to remote OpenMQ

From: Will Hartung <willh_at_mirthcorp.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 09:59:01 -0800

On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 2:07 AM, David Zhao <liang.x.zhao_at_oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
> If you don't care receiving each topic message by all MDB instances, you can
> just remove clientId form activation properties. But it has to be in a
> cluster if you want to use Shared Topic Subscriptions.
>
> Thanks,
> David Zhao

No, the entire point is that all of the nodes need to see the event.
The specific problem is that code on one of the nodes is waiting for
the event, but any node can actually create it.

I don't want to cluster GF simply because of operational complexity.
We're very well versed in managing single instances of GF, even in a
load balanced environment. But adding clustering of GF is a big
unknown. OpenMQ is already clustered (that works swimmingly). Each leg
runs an instance of GF and an instance of imqbrokerd, with a shared
Postgres back end. Session sharing isn't a big enough deal for us,
which is the other benefit of GF clustering.

But all of our operations stuff is based on the current config, and
adding GF clustering would be a Big Deal I think.

So I assume this limitation is based on the way the MDBs work? Will I
have this problem if I simply connect to the topic with a generic JMS
listener directly? If in a cluster, do ALL of the MDBs fire from the
same message for the same topic? That's intuitively what I would think
(and why I didn't think this would be a problem).

But now I'm not sure.

Any other suggestions for a pub/sub solution that will deliver the
message to all of the listening nodes that don't involve clustering
GF?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh_at_mirthcorp.com)

--
This message, and any documents attached hereto, may contain confidential
or proprietary information intended only for the use of the addressee(s)