users@glassfish.java.net

[gf-users] Re: ping glassfish public ip address and FQDN

From: Andreas Ernst <ae_at_ae-online.de>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 09:40:55 +0100

Am 02.11.14 um 09:26 schrieb thufir:
> I've registered a FQDN through noip.com. How can I use Glassfish as a
> web server?
>
> Looking at:
>
> http://forums.netbeans.org/topic47278.html
>

> I'm able to access http://192.168.1.3:8080/myWebsite from the same
> network. However, I want to point the browser to
> http://my_fqdn:8080/myWebsite from a computer outside the network
> (across the internet). I want to use Glassfish as a web server for a
> web application.
>
> The FQDN points to the public ip address of the box running the
> Glassfish server. Specifically, it points to the public ip address of
> the router.
>
> Is there some missing piece? While I can ping the internal, 192.x.x.x
> address, I want to be able to, at a minimum, ping the FQDN which is
> registered on noip.com and which points to the public ip address for
> Glassfish. Of course, I should be able to actually browse to the webpage.

This has nothing do to with GlassFish.

192.168.x.x are private IP addresses, you can't access them direct from
internet [1].

You need to setup your router to forward the port 8080 to the private ip
address. Therefor you need a static public ip address. This could be a
issue on dial-up networks.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network
--
ae | Andreas Ernst | IT Spektrum