users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Why does my timer expunge?

From: Oliver B. Fischer <mailsink_at_swe-blog.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 16:15:52 +0200

I think the problem is that runFullUpdate() calls another EJB which
throws an exception. GF wraps this exception in an
javax.ejb.EJBTransactionRolledbackException. Because of this exception
GF expunges the timer.

I think this is against the EJB specification. The specification states
only in section "18.2.5.3 Timeout Callback Method Requirements":

"Timeout callback methods must not throw application exceptions."

In my personal opinion the timeout callback method must be independend
of exceptions thrown during the method call if no exception is thrown by
the method itself.

How should I write a stable service if an exception somethere else
thrown and catched causes my timer to be expunged?

Should I open an issue with an example for this problem?

Best,

Oliver