users@glassfish.java.net

HTTP thread pool monitoring question

From: Noah White <emailnbw_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 18:00:03 -0500

Platform: Windown x64 / JDK 1.7 / Glassfish (open src edition) 3.1.2 b23

Hi,

I'm trying to monitor the HTTP thread pool associated with a listener, eg. http-listener-1 for the amount of time a thread spends queued. In the admin GUI I have the monitoring service enabled as well as the monitoring mbeans. The following components are set to HI:

Web Container
Thread Pool
RESTFul Web Services
JPA
JDBC Connection Pool
EJB Container
HTTP Service

I realize for this question not all these components need to be enabled but this is where things are at right now.

In looking at the Glassfish 3.1 Performance Tuning Guide I see there's a Connection Queue section [1] which has an Average Queuing Delay property which appears to be the stat I am looking to measure. However, I do not see that in the Admin GUI Monitoring Data for Server http-listener-1. In its Connection Queue Statistics section I see TicksTotalQueued which looks like it might be the same thing, however, the Description reads: "(Unsupported) Total number of ticks that connections have spent in the quue".

Is this "Unsupported" because I am on Windows, because of my underlying hardware, because I am using the open source edition of glassfish, or some other reason?

Is the metric I am looking for available?

Thanks,

-Noah

[1] - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18930_01/html/821-2431/abeet.html#abefg