users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish 3,1 and Apache

From: Lachezar Dobrev <l.dobrev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 23:51:08 +0200

  IMVHO you should *always* use Apache, or another façade server.
  Glassfish servers tend to have numerous open ports for numerous
services both internal (various Glassfish modules) and external
(database processes, possibly messaging server, etc.). Hiding it in a
walled garden is a considerable detergent for possible security
attacks.
  Apart from being the (possibly) best isolation practice the façade
server has another benefit, that one should not take lightly: SSL
processing off-server. You just set the HTTPS on the façade, and use a
speedy unencrypted channel to the Glassfish server. That leaves a
considerable amount of CPU free for the actual work that needs to be
done. Yes, SSL is CPU heavy.