users@glassfish.java.net

Very Odd behavior of LifeRay on Glassfish 3.0.1

From: Pete Helgren <pete_at_valadd.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:14:36 -0600

This is a duplicate of what went to the Development list (which may have
been a mistake on my part)....

I have posted this over on the LifeRay forum but after a few days of no
response a little research led me over here in hopes that someone might
have a clue as to where I can begin unraveling this problem. The problem
is that we are seeing the following random occurrences on LifeRay 6.0.6
that runs on Glassfish 3.0.1:

1) HTML and Javascript being presented as text to the end user.
2) Screens of "garbage" where a page displays what looks to be binary data.
3) Clicking on a link or a button and having a resource begin to
download (we have multiple portlets that allow users to download PDF's
and MP3 files as well as upload them to the site). Sometimes the portlet
begins to download a page instead of displaying it. Sometimes a user
sees an MP3 begin to download, even though they clicked on a link to go
to another web page. Images download rather than display, etc, etc....

In short, things are acting very peculiar. We have introduced very few
changes over the past 3 months and the frequency of these problems seems
to be increasing as the number of users grow. Page views are running in
the 50k/day range. Folks who download (we serve up several PDF
documents and a few hundred MP3 files) are in the 12k-20k/day range.

I suspect a caching issue but I can't tell for sure. It is almost as
though sessions are being shared between portlets and the data from one
session is leaking into another or a previous abandoned session's data
is getting intermixed with the current session. I don't know exactly,
but Glassfish seems to be serving random content and we have spent a
couple of weeks trying to get to the bottom of it to no avail.
Sometimes you cannot click on a link without getting content downloading
rather than displaying. Sometimes, all performs well and correctly.
It's maddening.....

What I am looking for is an idea of where to start looking. Either we
have some poorly written code that is somehow not playing by the rules
OR we have a configuration error that is allowing stale or cached data
to be served. I don't know what it is but we need to get to the bottom
of it.

Any ideas on where to start/look would be greatly appreciated.

--
Pete Helgren
Value Added Software, Inc